So how was your weekend?
Mine was great! I got to have lunch with Danica Patrick. Turns out her husband is a friend of a friend/coworker, and I was offered a free pit/paddock pass plus the VIP treatment at the Milwaukee Mile. Her husband Paul is an awesome guy, and although I'd never met him before that day, by the end we were all sharing a bottle of Gentleman Jack at the Patrick bus (without Danica, she was busy qualifying and signing autographs). Here are a few pictures I took from the weekend:
Click on the slideshow to go to the Picasa gallery for bigger pictures.
My friend/coworker with the connections and I carpooled to the race with our boss, who bought a Corvette Z06 recently. After the race on Sunday he took me out for a spin, and HOLY CARP THAT'S A RACE CAR. It goes 100 MPH in second gear, although we never got there because even without flooring it, the traction control kicked in well below redline, plus the speed limits in the area weren't nearly high enough for it. It literally pins you to your seat with the acceleration; that's how fast it is.
Thursday, June 04, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
All material on these pages is ©2003-2010 by Joe Belland, Dave Belland, Tom Adams, Cari Burud and/or Paul Harold except for the stuff that we blatantly stole from other sources. All rights reserved.
that is freakin' awesome!
ReplyDeleteMy weekend wasn't nearly as eventful. Though I got to see my first hair metal concert on friday (Nightranger), I spent all of saturday throwing up (I don't think it's related).
Awesome! How hard was it to watch and not be able to drive yourself?
ReplyDeleteWhere's the picture of you with Danica Patrick?
Whoa! Awesome!!
ReplyDeleteDid you ask if the Patricks would adopt you?
If there was a scale for measuring Fan-atude, where do you place now?
Plus what would the degrees of fan be?
I imagine something like:
Casual supporter
supporter
energetic supporter
fan
enthusiast
fan-boy
...
...
stalker
Of course this assumes stalker status is three degrees past fan-boy.
But I'm not sure where "hanging out with spouse and parents" is on the list. (Probably one of the missing degrees.)
Somewhere between fan-boy and stalker, close to groupie. We did hear some stalker stories. That's not a fun part of being famous. She's got protection, though (hint: don't try to sneak up on her in public).
ReplyDeleteIt was not really a crazed-fan-meeting-a-celebrity kind of day, more like hanging out with the local racers at a track day.
So, does Katie have to compete with the "Other Woman"?
ReplyDeleteI hear the pits is where the adrenalin rush really is. What a weekend! Dave in Heaven...
Dad
LOL, no, of course Katie doesn't have to compete. She's #1 always. Especially at Mario Kart - she's practically unbeatable.
ReplyDeleteBut how does she fair at Wacky Wheels?
ReplyDelete(Since we'll finally resign that Duke Nukem Forever will actually never arrive.)
(I think I recall having the original Duke Nukem on 5.25" floppy. Shareware version of course.... which cost $5.... what the hell kind of shareware was that?!)