Monday, October 03, 2005

Greetings from Warrington.
Wi-Fi is awesome

Ok, rule #1: Don't fly through Chicago
Rule #2: Don't fly United Airlines

Follow those rules for air travel, and you're pretty much set. I don't think I've ever had a United flight that wasn't delayed and I don't think I've ever gotten in or out of Chicago on time. But since the only time I fly United is when I'm going through Chicago and whenever I fly through Chicago, I fly United, I don't think those events are independent.

That being said....

My flight out of Orange County left an hour and a half late, largely because the plane coming in from Chicago was late due to thunderstorms. Considering I only had an hour and a half layover, that pretty much guaranteed I'd miss my connection in Chicago. Add to that that the flight had to fly more slowly going to Chicago to time their arrival in between thunderstorms, and I arrived about 30 minutes after my flight to Manchester left.

So, I run from the arrival terminal in Chicago (concourse B) to the British Midlands ticket counter in Terminal 5. They rebook me on a flight through London to Manchester. But the flight to London leaves from Concourse C, so I have to run all the way back (for those of you who know Chicago O'Hare, you know that I've gone from one end to the other and back). Fortunately, I had a couple hours before the flight to London left.

Of course, the plane that was going to London was coming from Washington D.C. and was also late because of the Chicago thunderstorms, so the flight to London left about 2 hours late. I didn't think it too much a problem because I had about a 3 hour layover in London.

About a couple hours into the flight, a flight attendant came over the PA "if there are any licensed medical professionals aboard, would you please identify yourself by pressing your call button." A while later, "again, if there are any doctors aboard, please identify yourself to the flight attendants. There is a passenger who is very ill."

Flashbacks to Airplane. I wondered if eggs were coming out her mouth. I kept looking for Leslie Nielsen.

Anyways, they had taken the sick woman to the back of the plane, but the flight attendant right in front of me was on the phone (with a doctor on the ground I think). I could hear her talking about the passenger's symptoms, then running to the back of the plane, then running back to the phone and giving the doctor updates. This kept up for a while, then suddenly, I heard the deafening roar of the engines start to die down. The map screen on my personal entertainment thingy showed that the airplane was slowing down and losing altitude. I opened the shade on the window and saw a huge stream coming off the wing which I initially thought was a contrail, until I realized it was too big and it wasn't coming off the wing tip. I quickly figured they were dumping fuel which meant...

The pilot came over the PA "ladies and gentlemen, I apologize for the inconvenience, but we're making an emergency landing so we can get medical attention for our sick passenger." The pilot and flight attendant later said that in their entire careers, they'd never had to make an unscheduled stop.

For those of you who don't know, when a plane makes an unscheduled landing, it has to dump fuel. This is because the added weight of the fuel puts excess stress on the landing gear. I was able to get a few pictures of the fuel being dumped, but unfortunately, I forgot the USB cable for the camera, so I'll have to wait until I get home to post them.

So, at around 3:00am local time, we landed in Gander, Newfoundland, Canada. Paramedics came and took the woman off the plane. After about 30 minutes to an hour, (after they refueled the plane), we resumed our journey to London. This stop was just enough time to put us into London just as my connection to Manchester was leaving.

So I had to run to the BMI ticket counter in London to reschedule my flight. In the end, I got to Manchester a little after 6:00pm, 10 hours after my scheduled arrival.

Thank goodness I hadn't checked any baggage.

10 comments:

  1. I seem to recall, way back when, after taking a United flight through Chicago, that I would NEVER EVER fly through Chicago OR on United.

    I shoulda shared my wisdom with you when you booked the flight. ^_^;

    Hope you don't have to check your luggage coming back, cause I have a gut feeling you'll run into delays again (being you'll be flying United and through Chicago... again).


    ~RlrlrlRLRLLRLGRLGRLGlglglglgl!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Amazing story. Do me a favor Joe and swill a few pints of brew when you get back to London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh! Paul is still alive!

    I suppose when you're busy working for one of those eeeeeevil Bush-appointed radical judges that are trying to re-write the constitution to remove any writes for women (er, wymyn), then you don't have much time to read boring ol' FU-News. (Or post on it *ahem ahem*).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late flights and missed connections on United, while connecting in Chicago? Surprise, surprise, surpries. I'm beginning to think that this is simply part of the standard United treatment.

    About 1 year ago we flew to MN on United and connected in Chicago--with a 2-year old girl, a pregnant wife, and carry ons. United cancelled our 1st connecting flight. They then postponed our 2nd connection for about 90 minutes. Thank God there was a playground of sorts in airport. Unfortunately, Miriam got blisters on her feet from all the walking we did.

    Horrible experience. We swore we'd never fly United again.

    This past August we flew to MSP, as I attended JSM in Minneapolis. The contract carrier for the Feds is United. The only affordable flights to MSP connect in Chicago.

    "NOOOOOOOO!!!" I cried aloud from my little veal pen on the 4th floor. Fortunately, we didn't have too many hang ups this time. Still, it was an unpleasant experience.

    Basic rule of thumb: Just avoid Chicago if you can.
    2nd rule of thumb: Take direct flights when travelling with young children.
    3rd rule of thumb: You should firebomb that Super Shuttle van before you consider riding in it (at least in DC). ..., but I'm not bitter about their bad service! (nervous tic)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, but DESPITE all that, you are in London, which is more interesting than where I am (in a non descript cubicle in a dark, obscure office hiding behind an average laptop)...

    I used to inform my father that I didn't think Europe existed since I hadn't seen it, and insisted that the only cure for this idiocy would be a trip abroad. This perhaps was a brutal way to try and manipulate him, but after age 5, it's hard to give the puppy eyes and get results. Instead, since he was my geography teacher, I had to resort to such measures to save the family name. But I still never got a trip to Europe. Therefore it doesn't exist. But have fun in London anyway, and send me a brochure from 221-B Baker Street. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes, 221-B Baker Street. =)

    Last year when Joe went out to the UK, I tagged along. The weekend we had free, we spent touring London and it's many sites, including 221-B Baker Street and the Sherlock Holmes museum there. Really cool.

    And then we kinda stumbled upon the Sherlock Holmes pub in London (well, I say stumbled because we were looking for it, but it was dark, and we weren't sure if we were in the right area, and then suddenly there it was) where we had dinner and the most scrumptious desert I've ever had! I wish I could remember the name of it. What I do remember of it is that it had lots and lots of SUGAR! Mmmmmmmmm. =)

    But, alas, I could not tag along this time around due to having just started a new job and frantically getting ready for BlizzCon. =D


    ~RlrlrlRLRLLRLGRLGRLGlglglglgl!~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, this seems to be not getting through to some people. I'm not in London, I'm in Warrington, which is an hour or so outside of Manchester, in the Northwest of England.

    I will not be flying back through London, as that's just where they diverted me. I initially had a non-stop flight from Chicago to Manchester, as I do on the way home.

    The only interesting thing about Warrington is it's in Cheshire county. Sorry, no smiling cats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But they have cracking good cheese, Gromit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back in the dark ages before Joe was born, Dad B and baby Jenny and I flew to Escanaba via Chicago for Christmas. After a 3-hour delay because of fog in L.A., we arrived in Chicago 20 minutes after our connecting flight left. We spent 5 hours in dingy O'Hare with a 5-month old baby before we could get on the next flight to Escanaba. There were no open restaurants - just a hot dog joint with no chairs. The connecting flight left from another concourse, so we had to go into the hub and go through security again with all our paraphernalia to get there (admittedly, the screening in those days was less intrusive).

    I learned several things from this experience:

    1) An army travels on its stomach. ALWAYS BRING FOOD.

    2) Breast feeding is much better when traveling with a baby -- you always have a food supply! I couldn't, and we were in danger of running out of formula, which would have been catastrophic.

    3) Always fly non-stop if possible, and if it isn't, schedule LONG layovers between connecting flights.

    4) NEVER FLY THROUGH CHICAGO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chicago...
    My man is from Madison, and several times has had to fly out of Chicago. Once, his mom bought him a ticket to come and see me for my birthday, and then told him to go to the wrong airport (there are two airports near Milwaukee). He was supposed to fly out of O'Hare, but missed his plane because of the mix up. When he called to tell me he was not going to make it for my birthday, I was insensed. BUT he said he would catch the first flight out of O'Hare the next day to come and see me.

    It was 10 hours late. The trip was supposed to be a three day trip, and he was now 2 days late. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew God had a better plan, but I was very angry about the whole thing. I pleaded with Sam to stay an extra week (it was summer), so he begged off work and stayed.

    MEANWHILE, Hurricane Charlie decided to form and head straight for us. Sam was staying at my Dad's office and my entire family was out of town. They live on the water. I had to go to work. So Sam had to get their house hurricane proofed, buy the hurricane supplies, round up the outdoor cats, evacuate, and hurricane proof the office.

    They let me off work about a half a day before the storm was supposed to hit, which is NOT enough time to prepare. If Sam hadn't been there, I would have never been able to do all of that.

    We ended up holing up at my Dad's office in the lead-lined x-ray room. We had a radio and fortunately some electricity for several hours, so we were able to get the updates. One squall went through and I have never been so scared in my life.

    At THE LAST second, Charlie wobbled south and ended up hitting Punta Gorda. We were blessed not to be hit, but of course were so sorry for the poor people who were.

    But if it hadn't been for Chicago's 10 hr flight delay, Sam would have probably gone home and I would have been alone for that scary ordeal. God did have a better plan, and He used that awful airport.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Current Earth-Destruction Status This page is Class A WWW Depricated

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
All material on these pages is ©2003-2010 by Joe Belland, Dave Belland, Tom Adams, Cari Burud and/or Paul Harold except for the stuff that we blatantly stole from other sources. All rights reserved.