More Crappy Movies.
Subjecting myself to potentially dain-bramaging crap so you don't have to
Ah, another international journey, another opportunity to view all the crappy movies I'd never go to the cinema to see.
The journey home wasn't as eventful as the journey there. No emergency landings, but the flight out of Manchester was late enough to make me miss my connection in Chicago, forcing me to wait another 5 hours in that gosh-forsaken heck-hole. Yeah, don't fly United. On the flight from Chicago to John Wayne, the reading light for the seat I was in (14F) was broken and the headphone thingy wasn't working properly. Also, some airlines have the decency to PAUSE THE MOVIE when the pilot/flight attendant comes over the PA, so you don't just miss the dialog for five-minute segments of the film while he rambles on about whatever pointless thing it is he's talking about. Also, United just doesn't seem to organized with their whole magazine thing. On the flight out to Chicago on October 2nd, my seat had the October issue of their in-flight magazine, but apparently every other seat had the September issue. This became a problem when the flight attendants announced that meal choices could be found on page 135, when in fact in my in-flight magazine page 135 listed the radio entertainment. Also, they were showing the movie from September, instead of that for October.
< /rant >
Anyways, now for the crappy movies:
Kicking and Screaming: 1.0
This journey could also have been entitled "How much Will Ferrel can Joe take before he becomes a homicidal psycho?" Not much to say about this movie.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith: 8.0
Not at all crappy. This is actually a good action/comedy. I had wanted to see it in the theaters, but Rie wouldn't let me take her to see it.
Fantastic Four: 5.0
Not particularly bad. Not particularly good either. Just a so-so comic book movie. My main gripe is they spent too much time on Ben Grimm's (The Thing) whining and crying about how no one likes him because he looked funny. Y'know, if I had some sort of radiation storm mutate me to turn me into a super-strong, giant rock, I wouldn't CARE what anyone else thought. Actually people would run up to me and tell me how cool they thought I was because the last guy who didn't do that ended up as a smear on the sidewalk.
Herbie: Fully Loaded: 4.0
I was board. What can I say? Just a couple things about this move: 1) I'm pretty sure NASCAR rules don't allow a '63 VW bug to be raced at the California 500. 2) I doubt a 1.5 liter flat 4 could really compete against the monsters they use in NASCAR anyways.
Betwitched: 3.0
Part 2 of Joe's attempt to use Will Ferrel to drive himself insane. The funniest part of this movie was the Family Guy joke it spawned where Stewie's watching the movie and at the part where Kidman says "I'm a witch" and Ferrel responds "I'm a Clippers fan", Stewie sighs, gets out of his seat, leaves the theater, goes to the airport, buys a ticket, gets on a plane, flies to LA, hires a taxi, goes to a hardware store, buys a ladder, goes to Will Ferrel's house, sets up the ladder, rings the doorbell, and when Will Ferrel answers, Stewie kicks him and shouts "that's not funny!"
Batman Begins: 9.8
At least we end on a high note. One of the best super-hero comic book movies. The only thing holding this movie back is that I'm not a fan of Katie Holmes. Fortunately they play to her best talents by not having her in it much. It's interesting to note that a Pirate super-hero could defeat Batman, because Batman is a ninja, and as we all know, Pirates are cooler than Ninjas.
Monday, October 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
All material on these pages is ©2003-2010 by Joe Belland, Dave Belland, Tom Adams, Cari Burud and/or Paul Harold except for the stuff that we blatantly stole from other sources. All rights reserved.




"Mr. and Mrs. Smith: 8.0
ReplyDeleteNot at all crappy. This is actually a good action/comedy. I had wanted to see it in the theaters, but Rie wouldn't let me take her to see it."
LIES!!!
This angers the Murloc!! >=(
~RlrlrlRLRLLRLGRLGRLGlglglglgl!~
(stoopid can't edit post stoopid system unsophisticated stoopid can't fix name properly stoopid STOOPID)
ReplyDelete>=(
~RlrlrlRLRLLRLGRLGRLGlglglglgl!~
Thanks for the movie run down. The only one I have seen is Batman Begins, and I have to agree with you on all points...except I don't remember any Pirates in the movie? Is this some brilliant satirical pop culture reference that my formerly homeschooled-in-a-closet self cannot grasp? Yeah...Katie Holmes...Ugh...I wish I could feel sorry for her, but she brought it on herself.
ReplyDeleteIn other movie news, YEAH for CHRONICLES! Sam and I have never read the books, so we picked up the first one and he read to me for three hours on Sunday when I was feeling sooo sick...Lewis is one of my favorite authors. However, his poetry was REALLY lame compared to Tolkien's. But is it fair to compare the two??
Duh, pirates are way cooler than ninjas. (geezo-weezo, all finely home-educated people know this!! You must have been one of the those "hoom-skoulirs" from the flat land. Don't worry there's a cure, just don't marry kin-folk =P ).
ReplyDeleteJoe,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reviews. Except for Batman Begins (which we each enjoyed), we never saw any of the movies you listed, nor do we intend to see any of them.
I was so hopeful about the Fantastic Four, but FOX decided to let Tim Story direct it. What a colossal blunder! They have a major franchise, and they let some guy who's small collection of films includes a lame Queen Latifah film! Hopefully the video game was pretty good.
Unfortunately, Fox is doing the same thing to the X-Men franchise. They started with a great director like Bryan Singer, and then they let the director of the "Rush Hour" films take over (since Singer left). "Rush Hour", now THERE'S quality cinema. At least you know that you'll have more horrible films to watch during your future business trips.
Cari, I don't think the poetry comparison between LOTR and Chronicles is just. The purpose of each story is very different. Lewis wrote some very good poetry, and Tolkien also turned to him for help on the Lay of Luthien (or so I've heard or read). I personally think that some of poetry (read: songs) in LOTR are less than enjoyable..., until you hear them sung. The Tolkien Ensemble produced some great arrangements for some of Tolkien's songs, but the music is now only obtained via pirated copies. (Again with the pirates!!)
EVERYONE knows that ninja are WAY cooler than pirates, because ninja have REAL ULTIMATE POWER.
ReplyDeletehttp://realultimatepower.net
WARNING: NOT FOR KIDS..... maybe not for adults either.
Ninja also deliver:
http://www.ninjaburger.com