Friday, December 19, 2008

One of the things I love about our faith is how rational it is; that is, how much it just makes sense. It is very rare that, so long as I am looking at the world from a Christian perspective, that it confuses me or doesn't make sense, particularly where human behavior is concerned. With the concepts of Original Sin, or man's fallen nature, or our innate desire for God, or the natural law, or guilt, or conscience, Holy Mother Church has very well instructed those who, like me, are not wise enough to figure out why people act as they do.


For instance, a man commits an evil. "Why did he do it?" people ask. "Because of his fallen nature, he inordinately desires created things, or things of this world, and is inclined to love himself over others," I know. Or, a group of people who commit evil may seek to legitimize it, or gain public acceptance for their evil acts. I understand this to be an act designed to assuage a guilty conscience. Or if a person acts with heroic selflessness, risking his life to save a child from a burning building, I can understand this as the person acting on his innate desire to do what is good, and he knows what is good through the natural law. It may be that all three of these happen within the same context; for instance a association aimed at the repeal of anti-arson laws sets fire to a building, causing a passerby to rush in to save the occupants. In fact, historically, these have all happened in the same context: Hitler was an evil man who sought to massacre the undesirables because he was fallen and prone to sin; the Germans who worked to accomplish his ends made excuses for why it was right, because they needed to appease their consciences and bury their guilt; and even in the midst of great evil, some rose above it all to show incredible love and compassion, because of a heroic desire for God and what is good.

(NB: the question of how people come to act as they do is, as are all questions of how, a matter of the sciences, particularly psychology and sociology, and are worth studying. For instance, what biological and environmental influences cause one man to commit evil and another to do good.)

It is because of this instruction that I am sometimes briefly astonished that, to this day, some people defend the sexual revolution as a good thing, until I remember that not everyone has the benefit of being brought up with such wisdom. To someone like me, who has a bit of intelligence but not a shred of wisdom, the revolution may look like a good thing. I mean, what could be wrong with throwing away outdated and pointless sexual mores? But when you look at the issue with the understanding provided by the Church, the problems become immediately obvious.

Chastity is part of the natural moral law, which is inscribed into our hearts and discernible through right reason. It governs our actions and helps us to act lovingly towards and promote the dignity of others and ourselves. By following the natural moral law, we can work to bring happiness. To act contrary to the natural law brings unhappiness and sorrow.

"The natural law, present in the heart of each man and established by reason, is universal in its precepts and its authority extends to all men. It expresses the dignity of the person and determines the basis for his fundamental rights and duties:

"For there is a true law: right reason. It is in conformity with nature, is diffused among all men, and is immutable and eternal; its orders summon to duty; its prohibitions turn away from offense . . . . To replace it with a contrary law is a sacrilege; failure to apply even one of its provisions is forbidden; no one can abrogate it entirely." (CCC 1956)

From this perspective it is easy to see what will happen when you casually toss aside these morals, "when you empty the relationship between the sexes of all moral significance and destroy the customs and institutions that govern it": women become a commodity, children become a possession, family becomes unnecessary, and murder becomes justifiable.

All the previous is just a very long-winded and roundabout way of introducing this article, which highlights one particular negative outcome of the sexual revolution: an increase in violence towards and abuse of women

And it makes sense.

5 comments:

  1. I hear you. However, I find that in my own life, I am becoming aware of the fact that I very easily "intellectualize" the faith and readily assent to her truths, yet fail to follow through aside from avoiding mortal sin. And I am no longer content with simply living the faith "in theory." It is absolutely driving me nuts, because I feel called to conversion, and have no idea how to go about this. Sorry to dump on this website. It is hard to find people who understand, so I wonder if I am just silly. If anyone has been where I am, and was able to proceed, any advice would be helpful. Blessings to all. -Cari

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're silly, then every person who ever lived is also silly. To quote Morpheus (more or less), it's one thing to know the path, but another to walk the path. Remember the 2 greatest commandments. Try to see Christ in other people. If you're aware of a specific way you think you're failing, think about what you can do to improve yourself. We are very much creatures of habit, and we learn by doing, so practice doing good, one day at a time. Baby steps! Perhaps you should talk with your confessor, I'm just a moron on the internet, and you can probably find some better spiritual advice from a trained professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cari, one thing I've found helpful is working on my friendship with Christ. This is what gave me such joy at college. When you love someone, it's easier to spend your day trying to please them. Whenever I'm starting to feel down and frustrated, it's always because I've let my relationship with God slide, particularly a regular prayer life. As a mom it's hard to find the quiet time you think you need to do this (and even if you DO find it, your mind races the whole time!). But it's possible to be a mom and a contemplative -- just because your hands are busy doesn't mean your heart can't fly up to heaven. If you like to read, I recommend "Holiness for Housewives" by Hubert van Zeller, and "A Mother's Rule of Life" by Holly Pierlot. These revolutionized my attitude towards, well, holiness for housewives. :) A more meditative book that I'm working through right now (a great read for Christmas) is "The Reed of God" by Caryll Houselander.
    Also, living the liturgy with your kids makes the Faith more real, I've found. Find little, simple ways to celebrate the feasts of the Church year -- coloring pages, special treats on feast and name days, crafts, etc. This helps your kids internalize their faith too.
    Take heart -- you're not alone! I think this is something all sincere Christians go through, especially busy moms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Joe, you don't just THINK you're intellectual, you ARE an intellectual. In these dark days, it's so refreshing to read something in which the author can actually link two coherent thoughts together rationally! Ahhhh *breathes the sweet air of reason*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all! Very helpful. Mrs. Pickles, I struggle very much with the fact that I have the tasks of Martha, but the heart of Mary (a contemplative heart). I would spend more time at His feet if I could, but I know I must serve Him by changing the poopy diapers and doing the dishes. It is hard to come up for a breath of fresh air with so many tasks, hard to be interiorly quiet. Dave, you are right that we must see Christ in other people, particularly our family members. I guess I must pray that He helps me know Him by serving them. I want my heart to be set on fire so that even every mundane task will be done with utter love. Sigh. Still waiting, still trying. -Cari

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Current Earth-Destruction Status This page is Class A WWW Depricated

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
All material on these pages is ©2003-2010 by Joe Belland, Dave Belland, Tom Adams, Cari Burud and/or Paul Harold except for the stuff that we blatantly stole from other sources. All rights reserved.