Friday, March 05, 2010

Optimal numeric base

After starting an argument on a subject I know nothing about (a frequent hobby I enjoy), I was unsatisfied with the "I have to go home" or "I have work to do" cop-outs from those around me. So I proceeded to seek confirmation that the optimal numeric base would be a power of 2 (I was lobbying for either 8 or 16) from the most trustworthy of sources, the internet. I was aghast to discover that the internet too was wrong for disagreeing with me. But this sure is an interesting read. Even the comments are interesting! (I should post something about the author being a ghey n00b just to even out the comments). There are lots of perspectives to consider apparently when deciding on an optimal numeric base.

5 comments:

  1. I disagree with his definition of "optimal". For me, a shorter number with more symbols (up to a point) is easier to memorize than a longer number with fewer. I think a very high base, while it might be more difficult to learn the symbols, would ultimately be easier to remember and type in numbers. With binary, trinary, and even decimal, it's easy to switch up the values. The fewer digits, the less chance of that. How many times do people miss-dial a phone because they enter digits out of order? How much less would that happen if you only had to enter three or four digits instead of ten?

    I'd vote for base 360. It's high and divisible by a lot of common numbers (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10....). There might be a greater overhead in learning the base, but it would be a lot shorter and easier to represent numbers. Phone numbers would be four digits, zip codes would be two. The drawback would be entering them. Keypads would either have to have 360 keys, or maybe 90 keys with four values per key. A standard 104-key keyboard already has this functionality (shift, ctrl, alt, and combinations thereof).

    Another drawback is coming up with unique and easily-identifiable symbols for each value. While we all know probably 50 or more unique symbols (26 letters, 10 digits, numerous punctuation marks), coming up with 360 obviously distinct ones might be difficult. But hey, the Chinese and Japanese alphabets have thousands of characters, don't they?

    If a smaller base, more friendly to keypads is desirable, then either base eight or 16. Eight has the advantage of we can count to it on fingers. 16 is better in the "shorter numbers" way. Also, it might be cool if we could all learn two different easily-converted bases, for instance, base 16 and base 256. This way, numbers could be given or displayed in their shorter format, but entered in the longer format, with fewer symbols (keys). So long as we know the conversions (like how 1010b is Ah) off the top of our heads (which shouldn't be too hard to learn), we'd have the best of both worlds.

    There's also a strong case to be made for base 60 for similar reasons as base 360.

    Of course, all this would be easier to learn from childhood. Hm... I think I should rename Damien "the human guinea pig" and teach him all sorts of funky counting systems. FOR SCIENCE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, I wrote a really witty comment relating the sexigecimal system to teaspoon, tablespoon, cups, pints, quarts, but it seems to have been lost on the interwebs.

    Also, my new puppy is adorable, and I need to note that I am thoroughly enjoying a martini. (or my second martini)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were to inquire on expertise in leatherworking, (not the WOW kind) I desire to construct a couple seats/saddles for motorcycles, and rumor has it that someone married into a person with leatherworking prowess.

    If I were to role a d20 with my luck bonus, I'm sure I'll have someone respond with a "what do you desire to craft", I would naturally reply two sweat saddles for my iron/aluminium horses.

    If things went well, I would procure the saddle leather necessary to produce said saddles and craft the articles of my desire.

    However, it is to be noted that this supposes intrest in helping the ignorant of leathercraftery, to which I am a condoned member.

    Hence I seek suggestions before heading to Yon Tandy Leather acquire said leather hides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buh, I'm sure, given time, said someone would be able to make, or help make, said saddle for said iron horse. But said someone didn't get that far in their leatherworking prowess. But, said someone could learn. It would just take time... and the baby Murloc makes spare time a bit hard. But it could be a weekend project of sorts.

    Recomendation: I took two leatherworking classes a week when in the throws of making my costume at a Tandy Leather shop in Fountain Valley (18950 Brookhurst St, Fountain Valley, CA 92708). It's run by a super nice family, and they REALLY know their stuff when it comes to leather.

    I was actually planning on taking up leatherworking again, specifically to make a scabbard for my Frostmourne sword. And if I do that, I have to swing by there to get the materials.

    So, maybe a date can be arranged where we make a trip out there together, me for my stuff, and you for your stuff/questions?

    Let me know. =)

    ~ The Resident Murloc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Behold my photochopping skills: 360-button telephone. Not sure about usability on that one.

    I think you should invent a new notation with a few symbols that could be used in serial for basic math, but also overlaid to create a more complex symbol set for large bases.

    Good candidates for a short base would be 12 or 16, maybe even 24; candidates for larger bases could 48, 60, 120, 144, 256, or 360. I personally would lean toward abundant numbers, but powers of two could be useful as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Current Earth-Destruction Status This page is Class A WWW Depricated

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
All material on these pages is ©2003-2010 by Joe Belland, Dave Belland, Tom Adams, Cari Burud and/or Paul Harold except for the stuff that we blatantly stole from other sources. All rights reserved.