Friday, March 05, 2010

Dear Internet,

I normally hate criticizing grammar, particularly because I am so prone to mess it up myself. But in this case, I see the incorrect usage more frequently than the correct usage. This has caused me much frustration, and I would appreciate it, Internet, if you would correct your behavior.

The issue:

"Loath" is an adjective meaning "reluctant" or "unwilling", such as in "I am loath to use that word correctly." It ends in a hard "th" and rhymes with "both".

"Loathe" is a transitive verb meaning "despise". The connotation is one of intense hatred, as in "I loathe using that word correctly." It ends in a soft "th" and rhymes with "clothe".

Now you know and, as they say, knowing is half the battle. Please correct your usage of these words immediately and stop saying that your are *shudder* "loathe" to do something. You cannot be "loathe". You can loathe and you can be loath.

Internet, this constitutes your first and only warning. From now on, every time you misuse these words, I shall strangle a bunny. You have been warned.

Sincerely,
Me

P.S. For more common errors to avoid, see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Current Earth-Destruction Status This page is Class A WWW Depricated

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
All material on these pages is ©2003-2010 by Joe Belland, Dave Belland, Tom Adams, Cari Burud and/or Paul Harold except for the stuff that we blatantly stole from other sources. All rights reserved.