Thursday, November 13, 2008

FLASH: A WOMAN IS PREGNANT!

ABC News announces that a woman is pregnant again! Bellow are excerpts from the article that was understandably written in haste without time for editing corrections since this story was too big to delay. I've made my own corrections to make this easier to read, but rest assured that I will not detract from the accuracy of this amazing story.

Barbara Walters Exclusive: Pregnant Man Woman Expecting Second Child

In First Interview Since Giving Birth, Thomas Beatie Tells Barbara Walters About Life With Daughter Susan

By ALAN B. GOLDBERG and KATIE N. THOMSON

Nov. 13, 2008


Thomas Beatie, the controversial woman people are calling a "pregnant man" who gave birth to a daughter earlier this year, reveals to Barbara Walters in an exclusive interview that she is pregnant again with his her second child.

Thomas Beatie, a transgender woman without traditional moral values, welcomed a baby girl, Susan, June 29. Since sharing the story of Susan's birth with ABC News, she and his wife her roomate, Nancy Beatie, hadn't spoken to the media been able to get enough of the national attention they so craved until they sat down last month with Walters.

Thomas Beatie, who is in his first trimester the first three months of her pregnancy, tells Walters she did not go back on the male hormone testosterone after Susan's birth so she could have another baby.

"I feel good," she said. "I had my checkups with my hormone level, as far as the HCG. And everything is right on track." He She says the baby is due June 12.

Thomas Beatie also spoke to Walters about Susan's birth, which was not via Caesarean section. He She was in labor for 40 hours; Nancy Beatie cut the umbilical cord.

In the spring, Thomas Beatie wrote an article in the national gay magazine The Advocate, revealing that she was legally male and that she was pregnant. He She released a photo showing his her bearded face and pregnant belly. The news -- and the controversial photo -- ignited a media frenzy and provoked questions about traditional notions about predictably gave the liberal media a new angle to try to distort the public's understanding of sex and gender.

"Hiding a pregnant man woman is like hiding an 800-pound gorilla," she said of his her decision to go public. Husbands around the country agreed. "Nancy and I wanted to tell our story from our own mouths before it got out and the made-for-TV movie deals would start rolling in."

Thomas Beatie says she was surprised at how quickly the news of the woman being called a "pregnant man" spread.

"I was shocked that it looped around the world in 24 hours," she told Walters. "I mean, it was on Chinese Web sites and, you know, Web sites in Romania and Russia and Brazil."

He She became exactly what she wanted to be: an instant target of the tabloids and paparazzi, and fodder for talk shows and late-night television. Some people called Thomas Beatie a freak. Reasonable people call her an attention hungry woman without any traditional sexual morals. He She received death threats, and thousands of hateful comments still litter the Internet. To this day, she continues to receive anonymous hate messages and secretly loves the attention.

Since Susan's birth four months ago, Thomas Beatie, 34, and his wife her roommate, Nancy Beatie, 46, have been living a quiet life in Bend, Ore., and have rarely been seen in public, keeping their blinds drawn and monitoring surveillance cameras that surround their property except when on Oprah, various other national talk shows or in the newspapers.

Despite concerns for his family's her house's occupant's safety, Thomas Beatie says that she won't let fear rule their lives since seeking attention is so much more fun and that she feels has somehow convinced herself that they are a traditional family.

"We are a man two women with no traditional sexual morals, woman and child. It's ironic that we are so different but yet, we're just a family, just the same as anyone else that has no traditional sexual morals and constantly seeks national attention," she said.

When asked why she makes many people uneasy, Thomas Beatie said, "I think that people are not used to seeing the image of a pregnant man. And it's causing a lot of people to think. … I used my female reproductive organs to become a father mother." No kidding.


Though Thomas Beatie physically and legally transformed himself from a woman to has convinced a lot of people to believe that she is a man, she did not have "bottom" surgery, known as phalloplasty, to create an artificial penis. He She also left his her female reproductive organs in place.

"I don't feel like removing your sexual reproductive organs will make you any more of a man or any less of a woman," she said. It remains a mystery why changing a legal document would convince her.

Last year on "20/20," Walters reported on how children as young as 5 years old are transitioning from one gender to another because the adults around them are confusing the hell out of them. And in the last few years transgender people have gained gradual acceptance forced their way into the mainstream, even showing up in Hollywood plot lines, such as on the TV series "Ugly Betty" and "Dirty Sexy Money." But what happens when that transgender child grows up and wants to have a baby?

In 2003, Thomas and Nancy Beatie were legally married, and like many couples, they decided to start a family. The couple wanted to have a biological link to their child, but Nancy Beatie had a hysterectomy. The couple did not want to hire a surrogate to carry Thomas Beatie's harvested eggs, feeling no surrogate could be as conscientious as she.

So how does a man who was once a woman get pregnant? The first step was to stop taking testosterone, his a male hormone. After four months she began menstruating.

The Beaties then decided that they wanted a real challenge. Instead of finding the most promiscuous of creatures on the earth who would have been happy to abide, the male human, the Beaties then needed decided they would try to get a doctor who could help them obtain donor sperm and inseminate it into Thomas Beatie, but nine doctors rejected them.

In the end, the Beaties did it all themselves. First, they bought donor sperm on the Internet and Nancy Beatie used a syringe she had bought at a pet store to inseminate her husband roommate. Soon after, a home pregnancy test confirmed that she was pregnant.

Thomas Beatie says that pregnancy did not make him her feel more like a woman. "I did not feel maternal or motherly or womanly and pregnant. I felt like Nancy's husband, and I felt like the father of my child."


Thomas Beatie says she and his wife her roommate are clear on their parental roles. "I am my daughter's father, and that's all I'll ever be to her. Nancy is Susan's mother." Susan offered no comment at the time.

But state officials in Oregon had a different view when it came to the baby's birth certificate. "The nurse in charge of birth certificates came in and said, 'Portland won't allow this. That means, Thomas, we're going to put you as mother and Nancy as father.'" This upset everyone understandably. Portland apparently found a way to please none of the people all of the time.


The Beaties insist that they are a married, heterosexual couple and that the birth certificate should list them as father and mother. Legal experts say that regardless of how Thomas Beatie is listed, his her parental rights are protected because she is the baby's biological parent. But because she has no biological tie, Nancy Beatie could find her rights threatened. In related news, Tom Adams insists that he is the King of Spain and that his power is undermined by a small elephant that lives in a teapot and controls an unstoppable army of whirling dervishes.

In order to secure Nancy Beatie's parental rights, legal experts say the Beaties need to do what many same-sex couples with children do and have Nancy Beatie, the nonbiological parent, adopt Susan. But understandably, the traditional nature of adoption appalls the Beaties.

Instead they want to fight to change the birth certificate. They asked the American Civil Liberties Union to take their case but were turned down [editor's note: Get the Beaties the correct phone number for the ACLU. I'm pretty sure they'll take it]. They are still seeking legal representation.

"I feel that it's a flawed document," Thomas Beatie said in union with advocates for traditional families. "We'd like to see this process remedied for the next child, for the next pregnant woman."

Life in the Beatie home is pretty typical when they are not on Oprah or trying to get attention some other way. Thomas Beatie tends the garden, Nancy Beatie breast-feeds the baby. But while the Beaties paint a picture of themselves as a have managed to convince themselves somehow that they are a normal, everyday family, others who are not so foolish see them as outsiders and question their claims and motivations. Many have accused observed the Beaties of going public to profit from their story.

In fact, the Beaties have made some money. They sold photographs of their family to Getty Images, a photo agency, and were paid to appear in a British documentary that will air on the Discovery Health Channel next week.

Thomas Beatie has also written a book about his life, "Labor of Love," which goes on sale this week.

13 comments:

  1. You are an excellent libterpreter, Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that some people need to retake biology 101. XX = female. XY = male. There are some genetic disorders where the sexual organs don't develop clearly, caused by environmental factors (like exposure to certain drugs during fetal development). This poor woman could be suffering from something along the lines of Progestin-induced Virilisation, for example. Or what's more likely, she's suffering the effects of an extremely troubled childhood, which stunted her views of all things good and normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the way I say it is and if you think otherwise, you're wrong.

    Reality is what you make of it. If I legally define my cat to be a dog, then it is the same as the barking, fetching creature that my neighbor has, even if it is a tenth the size and meows.

    I shall stand here and shake my fist at the universe. Who does it think it is, holding me back with its "laws"?


    (Concerning what Mrs. P said, it's interesting to note that we no longer treat psychological trauma or sexual disorder any more. If some psychological problem leaves someone with a loose grasp on The Way The Universe Works, our current attitude is that correcting them makes them feel bad, so instead we should encourage them in their confusion. I assume it wasn't always this way, otherwise I have a hard time imagining how we ever would have evolved past the stage of trying to decide if rocks were edible.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for fixing that, Tom. That's what I always think when I see these articles. I'm amazed how dumb the media are when they talk about a woman who has female reproductive organs, female anatomy (and apparently isn't even taking male hormones anymore), and call her a "man"... just because she says so? We'll guess what, I'm the IRS, and it's tax time. (I know the media aren't dumb, rather the story fits their incorrect world view).

    I don't know if she's attention-hungry; I suspect she's suffering from a genuine psycho-sexual disorder, and unfortunately no one around her seems to be trying to treat her for it, they just go along with whatever she says. It's a little like the emperor with no clothes. I think Mrs. Pickles may have hit the nail on the head.

    I heard Cardinal Arinze speak at commencement at St. Thomas Aquinas College once, and the one quote that has stuck with me since then is, "If it's Saturday, it doesn't matter how many times you say it's Thursday, it's still Saturday." But then, the whole attitude of the social left these days is that it's whatever day you want it to be. The abandonment of absolute truth has directly led to all kinds of inanity we see today.

    People forget about the Real significance of things like law, marriage, morality, and now think that they can change Reality by sheer force of will. I'm more and more convinced that since people are "hard-wired" for religion, they are incapable of not worshiping something, and when they make a deliberate effort to stop worshiping God, they merely put themselves in God's place, and honestly believe, even if they don't express it so concisely, that they are the ultimate authority on reality and morality as it pertains to them, and there is no higher.

    I wonder, now that I think of it, if the reason the most brutal regimes of late have been Godless, is for precisely that reason, that the people in power believe there is no authority above them.

    Or am I just stating the bleeding obvious?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Dave, you're stating the obvious, but stating it extremely well! Great post, Tom. You should have your own talk show!

    Dad B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something I'm beginning to realize more and more about the left is how much their beliefs are just that—articles of blind faith. In this case, there is a Belief that, despite what we can know through science, that this woman is a man. Similarly, with the issue of abortion, there is a belief that, despite what science tells us about the beginnings of human life, a fetus is not human. But unlike the Christian faith, these beliefs are not rooted in reason and rationality.

    It's ironic particularly because the blind faith in beliefs is exactly what the left accuses the right of. It's a bit like the Unman calling Ransom "bent".

    (Waits for you to get that reference because YOU ARE A HUGE NERD.)


    In conclusion, this blog is boring when we all agree. Where's Devin to come and stir up the pot and add some flavor? Oh, that's right. On her honeymoon. Come back, Devin! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So we need a contrary view to make this interesting, eh? Allow me to try: You are all newty heads for even agreeing with me in the first place! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In other news, looks like Star Trek is getting sexed up:

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1086917/TRAILER-Star-Trek-gets-sexy-makeover-new-film-love-scenes-motorbikes-hunky-stars.html

    sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You say that as if it wasn't already. Hasn't Star Trek always had a lot of sex in it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It used to have a lot, with respect to what was considered acceptable on TV in the 60s. The best movies were 2, 4, 6, 8 (and maybe 10 depending on who you ask). Remember how much sex there was in those?

    I'm glad they're not dropping the franchise, but looking at the writers' past credits, it looks like it will be more of a lightweight popcorn flick than the previous good Star Trek movies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suppose if you're going by the movies, there hasn't been much sex in those. But the TV show has always pushed the boundaries. Decontamination chamber in Enterprise anyone?

    Concerning the director/writer, the only other thing of his that I've seen is Mission Impossible III, which is my favorite of that franchise, so I do have sort of high hopes for this one.

    I think that it will have a very different feel to Roddenberry's/Berman's Star Treks, though. Whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen.

    In short, it's Star Trek, Jim, but not as we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did this conversation turn into a discussion of Star Trek sex? And who is Devin?
    --Cari

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dunno. Some dude who shot Alexander Hamilton brought up Star Trek, and Devin is my cow-orker, who you should be very nice to.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Current Earth-Destruction Status This page is Class A WWW Depricated

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
All material on these pages is ©2003-2010 by Joe Belland, Dave Belland, Tom Adams, Cari Burud and/or Paul Harold except for the stuff that we blatantly stole from other sources. All rights reserved.